Hello

 I first got into astrophotography after a trip to Chile to see a total solar eclipse on July 2, 2019.

I had two Sony mirrorless cameras, some lenses, some improvised solar filters, and lots of enthusiasms for that event.

The funny thing is my eclipse photos were really bad. My brother's friend had a better lens (I think a 400mm Canon lens) and far more skill and got better photos of the eclipse than I did. His photos literally looked better than the photos being published on major USA news sites.

One thing I loved is that he also stuck his iPhone in the sand and also got a fun time lapse of the event.


The moon and the sun set the same time that day and we had a nice steak and then did something amazing - (maybe the next day) - we drove about an hour into the Atacama desert and pulled over in a random spot. That is when I got hooked into astrophotography.

Milky Way, July 2019, A7R3, Samyang 12mm F2 

When I got out of the car and looked up into a Bortle class 1 sky where the Milky Way galaxy, our galaxy, that was just so obviously there, it was amazing! In some ways the photos after a little processing were better than what I actually saw. In many ways, it wasn't comparable because I could see the entire sky all at once.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Moon Is Transparent (Not!)

The Rule of 500